Karl-Marx-Straße 107, 12043 Berlin, Tel: +49 (0)30 6808 5223

FAQ - answers to the questions.

General questions.

Why is there a spelling “mistake” in the name of the school?

To make you see it and learn correct spelling from the start.

When is die deutSCHule open?

Opening hours are from Monday to Friday from 8.30 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. The school is closed on Saturdays, Sundays and on public holidays.

How do I get to die deutSCHule?

die deutSCHule is located at 107 Karl Marx Straße, in the heart of Neukölln, only 1–2 minutes from either Rathaus Neukölln or Karl-Marx-Straße U-Bahn stations (line U7).

How long is a class hour?

As is standard in German schools, 45 minutes is considered 1 class hour. Classes that run for several hours normally have a 15 minutes break between the hours.

Does die deutSCHule make holidays?

Basically, no. The school is only closed between Christmas and New Year and on public holidays. 

Who teaches at die deutSCHule?

All teachers at die deutSCHule are fully qualified. Each of them has a certificate in teaching German as a foreign language, and broad ranging experience of, teaching their native language.

What do I have to bring on the first day?

2 current passport photos, your passport and, if you’ve already registered as a resident of Berlin, your certificate of residency (Anmeldebestätigung).

What does a monthly travel pass cost in Berlin?

Buying a monthly travel pass is the most economical way to take advantage of public transportation in Berlin. A normal monthly pass that covers the AB zones costs €78. The cheapest option is a transferable monthly ticket that is valid from 10 in the morning to 3 at night and costs just €57. This ticket is also valid all day Saturday, Sunday and on public holidays.


How many students are in the classes at die deutSCHule?

Between 10 and 18.

Which languages are spoken in class?

German is spoken in the German classes.
English is spoken in the English classes.
Spanish is spoken in the Spanish classes.

Is there a trial lesson?

Yes. After a free trial lesson and a short assessment test, our qualified teachers will place you in a course appropriate to your level.

How much do the courses cost?

check out our prices or click on ‘Prices’ in the ‘Courses’ menu.

What kind of certificate do I get at the end of a course?

On completion, you’ll receive a confirmation of participation on the relevant course or a certificate, together with, if relevant, a recommendation for a recognised exam that’s appropriate to your level. If you take an exam you’ll get a certificate confirming your grade. If you complete a language course on educational leave, you’ll receive a letter of confirmation for your employer.

Is there a minimum age to take a course at die deutSCHule?

Yes, there is. You have to be at least 16.

What kind of course material is required for the classes?

For each course level you’ll need a textbook and a workbook. Both books can be purchased from our office.


What about insurance?

Students with non-German citizenship and who are resident abroad can be insured for heath, accident and personal liability cover during their stay in Germany. We’ll help you find the insurance cover appropriate to your needs.


Is there a registration fee?

Registration costs €10 if you register in person, by post, fax or on our website. Registration from outside of Germany costs €50.

How do I register?

You can register online or download the registration form by clicking on the ‘Registration’ menu on our website,

How do I pay the registration and course fees?

You’ll get a confirmation from us by email when we’ve received your registration. Then we’ll send you an invoice and you can transfer the fees to our account, use PayPal or pay in cash in our office.

Can I pay with a credit card?

No. Please transfer the fees to our account giving your customer number, which you’ll find on the registration confirmation, as a reference.


Non-EU nationals require a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany. They have to apply for one at the local German Mission (embassy or other consular office) before travelling to Germany even if the stay is less then three months. The visa must then also approved by the relevant Foreigners’ Registration Authority (Ausländerbehörde) in Germany.


Can die deutSCHule help me find accommodation?

Sure! Let us know what kind of accommodation you’re looking for: a room with a host family, a hostel or a hotel - and how much you want to spend per month - and we’ll try to find suitable accommodation for you.

How much does a room cost?

You can expect to pay from about €350 per month to stay with a host family. We charge a once-off administration fee of €50. If you’d rather your own apartment or hotel room, you should expect higher monthly costs. You’ll find more details by going to the ‘More’ menu on this website and clicking on Accommodation